Home

Русский

Dionisy

Ferapontov Monastery

Museum of Frescoes

Library

Supplemental Information

Site Map

The ensemble of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery monuments includes:

The Virgin Nativity Cathedral. 1490

The Church of the Annunciation with the Refectory. 1530 – 1531

The Treasury Chamber. 1530s

The Church of St. Martinian. 1641

The Gate Churches of the Epiphany and St. Ferapont. 1650

The Bell-tower. 1680s

The Wall. 19th-20th centuries






The Gate Churches of the Epiphany and St. Ferapont. 1650

The Holy Gates that divide the two worlds: the mundane and the other, monastic, act as an entrance to the monastery. The two different in size arches are meant for everyday and festive entrances.

The Churches of the Epiphany and St. Ferapont were erected above the Holy Gates. Despite their tented construction typical of the 17th century, they stand out for their originality and picturesqueness. Together with the adjoining Treasury Chamber the Holy Gates with the gate churches form the central façade of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery.

The Interior of the Churches

The Interior of the Churches

Inside, the two churches are combined into one small rectangle stretched on the south-north axis and divided by an arch. The tents on octahedrons standing in the middle of the construction are not tied to the system of vaults. The load is transferred with the help of intricately placed weight relieving arches, a device nowhere else to be found.

During his exile in 1666-76, patriarch Nikon used the Church of the Epiphany as a home church where the service was conducted by a half-blind priest Varlaam as the former patriarch was stripped of all priestly functions.

The ensemble of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery monuments includes

The Virgin Nativity CathedralThe Virgin Nativity Cathedral. 1490

The Church of the Annunciation with the RefectoryThe Church of the Annunciation with the Refectory. 1530 – 1531

The Treasury ChamberThe Treasury Chamber. 1530s

The Church of St. MartinianThe Church of St. Martinian. 1641

The Gate Churches of the Epiphany and St. FerapontThe Gate Churches of the Epiphany and St. Ferapont. 1650

The Bell-towerThe Bell-tower. 1680s

The WallThe Wall. 19th-20th centuries

The Gate Churches of the Epiphany and St. Ferapont over the Holy Gates. Together with the Treasury Chamber they form the main façade of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery

The Gate Churches of the Epiphany and St. Ferapont over the Holy Gates

Together with the Treasury Chamber they form the main façade of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery


The St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery

The monastery is located in the village of Ferapontovo in Kirillov region of Vologda area


How to get the Ferapontov Monastery




Search

Home

Dionisy

Ferapontov Monastery

Museum of Frescoes



Site Map | Illustrations | Contacts

© 2005-2009 «Trusteeship of the Museum of Dionisy’s Frescoes»
All rights reserved.
When using the site materials, the hyperlink to the site http://www.dionisy.com/ is obligatory

SUPPORTING WITH:


Severstal Trusteeship of the Museum of Dionisy’s Frescoes Издательство "Северный паломник"