Priest James, Jesus’ Brother. The Virgin Nativity Cathedral wall painting. Section of Central Lengthwise Nave North View

Priest James, Jesus’ Brother

The Virgin Nativity Cathedral wall painting. Section of Central Lengthwise Nave North View




Search

Home

Dionisy

Ferapontov Monastery

Museum of Frescoes




Milestones of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery

1397

Cyril and Ferapont leave the Simonov Monastery in Moscow for Siverskoye Lake.

1398

Ferapont settles down on the shore of Borodoevskoye Lake.

1408

Ferapont sets off for Mozhaisk

1435 – 1147

Martinian’s abbacy. Introduction of the charter of St. Cyril of Belozero

1447 – 1455

Martinian’s abbacy in the St. Sergius Trinity Lavra

1455 – 1483

Martinian, the elder and builder of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery

1490, 8 September

The stone Virgin Nativity Cathedral is consecrated

1502, 6 August  8 September

Wall painting of the Virgin Nativity Cathedral by Dionisy and his sons

1513

Martinian’s relics are found

1530 – 1531

Construction of the stone Annunciation Church with the Refectory Chamber

1549

Canonization of Ferapont and Martinian

Mid-16th century

Hagiographies of Ferapont and Martinian are compiled. Construction of the Treasury Chamber

1612

“Lithuanian  Devastation”

1641

Construction of the St. Martinian Church

1649

Consecration of the Epiphany Church

1650

Consecration of the St. Ferapont Church

1666 – 1676

Patriarch Nikon is exiled to the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery

1690

Construction of the tented stone Bell-tower

1764

Catherine the Great carries out reforms to secularize church lands. The St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery is the last in the list of third-category monasteries.

1794

The Synod allocates funds for the monastery’s renovation

1798

The St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery is disbanded “on account of its decay”. The Ferapontov parish is set up

1831 – 1866

Activity of Father Arseny Razumovsky

1836 – 1838

The St. Martinian Church is repaired, a new porch and altar are built.

1840

Construction of the monastery wall

1851 – 1853

The Annunciation Church and the Refectory Chamber are renovated.

1899

I. Brilliantov’s book The St. Ferapont Belozero Presently Abolished Monastery, a Place of Captivity of Patriarch Nikon.  Towards the 500th Anniversary of the Monastery. 1398-1898. With the attached essay Patriarch Nikon Incarceration in Belozero was published.

1903, 12 December

Synod’s decree 11258: “… to revive the old disbanded St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery by turning it to a convent, abbess Taisia of the Leushinsky Monastery is entrusted with this task.

1904, 2 January

The St. Ferapont Belozero parish buildings are transferred to the newly revived convent

1904 30 May

The newly revived convent is inaugurated by the Archbishop of Novgorod Gury

1906

Abbess Seraphima is appointed. The first sisters take the veil.

1908 - 1915

P.Pokryshkin and K. Romanov design restoration works.

1911

V. Georgievsky’s The Frescoes of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery is published

1912

The St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery restoration committee is formed under the Imperial Archeological Commission.

1918, 16 September

Kirillov’s vicarial bishop Varsonophy and abbess of the Ferapontov convent Serafima are shot.

1924

The convent is closed down.

1975

A branch of the Kirilllovo-Belozersky Museum of Dionisy’s Frescoes is organized.

1999

A group of restorers and research members of the Museum of Dionisy’s Frescoes is awarded the State Prize for preservation of Dionisy’s wall painting

2000

The St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery ensemble is inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Home

Русский

Dionisy

Ferapontov Monastery

Museum of Frescoes

Library

Supplemental Information

Site Map

Other materials:

Aristotle Fioravanti (Fioravanti del Albertini, Rudolfo)

Cost of works

Dionisy and Andrei Rublev

Dionisy’s sons Theodosius and Vladimir

Fresco technique

Genealogy of Icon Painter Dionisy

Milestones of the St. Ferapont Belozero Monastery

St. Cyril of Belozero

St. Ferapont of Mozhaisk (Belozero), Miracle-worker from Luzhki

St. Joseph, Hegumen of Volotsk

St. Martinian of Belozero

St. Paphnutius of Borovsk, Hegumen and Miracle-Worker

St. Paul Of Obnorsk and Komelsk. Vologda miracle-worker

St. Sergius of Radonezh

Team painting

The Simonov Monastery



Site Map | Illustrations | Contacts

© 2005-2009 «Trusteeship of the Museum of Dionisy’s Frescoes»
All rights reserved.
When using the site materials, the hyperlink to the site http://www.dionisy.com/ is obligatory

SUPPORTING WITH:


Severstal Trusteeship of the Museum of Dionisy’s Frescoes Издательство "Северный паломник"